The search engine Bing is the number 2 search engine after Google in the western world – the market share for desktop search queries is 13.5% in the USA and 9.5% in Germany. In the online marketing mix, Bing should therefore not be neglected, because Bing users are older and more financially strong than Google users. You can read relevant information about Bing and Bing users, the most important differences between Google and Bing and the Bing ranking factors in this blog post.
Bing market shares 2020
By integrating Bing into the Windows 10 ecosystem, for example through the standard use of Bing in the Cortana assistant and as a preset search engine in the Edge browser, Bing has a remarkable market share, especially when searching via desktop. According to StatCounter, Bing was able to book around 13.5 percent of all desktop search queries in the USA in August 2020; in the UK it was 11.5 percent and in Germany around 9.5 percent of all searches carried out on desktop computers.
Bing Desktop Search Market Share, August 2020
Land desktop market share
Europe as a whole 7%
World total 6.5%
One thing should be clear at this point, however: Bing really only plays a role in desktop search queries; In the mobile sector, the search engine has no significant market share.
This is not least due to the fact that Android with the default Google search predominates on mobile devices and Google uses enormous payments to Apple in order to continue to be listed as the standard search engine in the Safari browser on iPhones. According to reports, Google is paying enormous sums of money to Apple – according to the CNCB, it was around 9.5 billion US dollars in 2018 alone.
Bing users are more solvent, Bing Ads cheaper than Google
Bing itself praises its own user base as much more solvent than that of the competition from Google. According to our own Bing analyzes for the use of Bing Ads – that is, the search engine advertisements in the search results – “an audience that tends to be more affluent compared to Google” is reached, according to author Cora Rothenbächer in the Bing Post. “Specifically, this means that 24% of Bing users belong to the top 25% income class in Germany,” she writes.
55% of the users are men and 45% women. In addition, the level of education of Bing users is higher than that of Google; 20% of Bing users would have a university or postgraduate degree. This can also be attributed to the close interlinking of Bing and Windows 10. Many Bing users would use the search engine on their workstation, make correspondingly more qualified search queries and are therefore interesting for B2B contacts. In addition, the CPA (cost per acquisition) and the average CPC (cost per click) are often lower with Bing than with Google.
Bing ranking factors
In the summer of 2020, Microsoft revised the webmaster guidelines for Bing search and also published detailed documentation of the most important ranking factors for top positions in the Bing search results. The points presented are not entirely surprising, but they do provide a good indication of how Bing arranges the web. Because: The ranking factors are arranged in decreasing importance; Accordingly, the relevance of a search result is most important for Bing, user signals are of medium importance, and the loading time determines the order of the six ranking factors presented by Bing.
- Relevance: The relevance measures the accuracy of fit of the content of the landing page with the user intention behind the search query. According to Bing, matching terms are analyzed directly on the page, link texts, but also synonyms and abbreviations.
- Quality and credibility: In order to assess the quality of a website, Bing analyzes the reputation of the site itself. The question of whether authors are named also plays a role in the Bing ranking. In addition, landing pages that clearly name sources and adhere to a certain netiquette are more credible.
- User signals and satisfaction: Bing also takes into account how users interact with search results. Which results are clicked on, how long has the user previously searchedand possibly scrolled on the search results page? What is the time on site and the bounce rate?
- Freshness: Bing likes fresh content; this means that the website contains up-to-date information. It is therefore not important how many new URLs are created, but that the information they contain is continuously updated in order to maintain a good Bing ranking. Microsoft explicitly states that in many cases the content produced today will still be relevant years from now.
- Location: The Bing ranking also takes into account the country and city in which the user is located, as well as the hosting location and the document language.
- Loading time: Similar to Google, the loading time of a page also plays an important role in the ranking in the Bing search results. However, Microsoft recommends finding a compromise between the absolute loading time on the one hand and the user experience on the other.
SEO optimization for Bing
- Search engine optimization for Bing works similarly to Google. The SERP features are also similar – you can also find direct answers, featured snippets, knowledge panels and more on Bing.
- Nevertheless, there are some special features with Bing – for example, Bing still more often displays the star ratings as a rich snippet in the search results; At Google, this is now only possible for third-party providers. In general, the snippets are longer and more text-heavy than on Google; the meta description on Bing is much more extensive than on Google.
- The backlink results differ significantly between Google and Bing, analyzes show. This is because Bing crawls pages less often in Germany because Bing only has a small market share here. This is why it takes longer to find backlinks. While Google needs between 24 hours and 2 weeks for this, it can take up to six months for Bing.
- In addition, the close connection to Windows 10 offers some potential – do you know the daily changing Windows background image? If you are interested in more information by clicking, you will land directly on the corresponding Bing search results page. And a website that ranks for this topic can look forward to an increase in organic traffic. Similar to the Google Doodle, but often for users who surf during working hours.
- In the Bing Webmaster Tools you can register your domain for presence in the Microsoft search engine and call up data on crawling, the degree of optimization, security, mobile-friendliness and the performance of your own domain in the Bing search results.
You can find more questions and answers about SEO optimization for Bing in the linked blog post.
Conclusion: how relevant is Bing for my online business?
Whether you need special optimization strategies for Bing in SEO and online marketing depends primarily on your target group. The market share of search engine usage in Germany is 9.5% on the desktop, but only 0.6% on the smartphone. And according to Bing’s own analyzes, the users are more male, older, higher-income and have a higher level of education than Google users.
You can check how much Bing traffic your website receives in Google Analytics, for example. You can find the information in the reports under “Acquisition” and then “Source / Medium”. You can also check how your Bing traffic behaves in a Google comparison when it comes to achieving conversion goals. If these numbers are promising, and you have a target audience that is older, male, and desktop-savvy and uses your website primarily during work hours, investing in Bing Ads and specific SEO for Bing can be worthwhile.